Sunday 3 December 2023

Neurology Appointment and Thoughts

 


Hello...back with yet another update. So..Friday morning was my appointment with the Dementia Neurologist who has now referred me to a colleague but I cannot for the life of me remember who he said that was. He wants to see if my memory loss could be due to lifelong undiagnosed Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (already spotted back in the 90s by a private Clinical Psychologist) when I was in my 30s.


He also suspects that the later deterioration of my cognitive skills might be from the cardiac arrest and coma in 2016. No one since my hospital admission has ever suggested anything like a brain injury, nor told me anything about my hospital stay, nor any aftercare offered.
I know this might sound like a positive step forward, but I have waited such a long time to be heard by anyone, I'm starting to think this turn of events is too good to be true.

So far I have been waiting more than 25 years for my privately sourced diagnosis of ADHD to be confirmed by someone on the NHS. I'm in my 60s now. Going by experience I might have my gravestone made with the wording 'still waiting for an ADHD diag....oh look, a squirrel!'.

I'm originally from Gosport in Hampshire where I got no support whatsoever from anyone who was in a position to offer help with my ADHD. I then moved to Eastbourne and got busy looking after a friend who was poorly. I put ADHD on the back burner for 9 years until my friend died. Billy died on 25th November last year so it took me just a year or so to get the referral I needed.

The reason I am seeking an assessment is that without medical support, there is a 20-year waiting list for suitable supported housing in my home town. I also have heart failure and it's unlikely I will survive another 20 years I just want to go back home to be near all that is familiar to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment